Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seven year itch

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation. 
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat," if you only walk long enough."
                    -From Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

WWII Memorial in Wash., D.C.
A couple years ago, I wrote in the aforementioned-now-extinct LiveJournal that I no longer felt temporary in D.C. It was a few months after finally moving off-campus into my first apartment, and I remember walking home from the train station, late summer or early fall, and it just felt right. I felt like I belonged in D.C. Very right place, right time.


Last month marked seven years that I've lived in the District (give or take a couple summers spent in Los Angeles). Next month will mark my last living in D.C., at least for now.

Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Ca.
After much thought, a few weeks ago I left my job, and that decision led me to decide to move to the San Francisco Bay Area, by way of Los Angeles. Mid October I will be moving back in with my parents in the L.A. area to look for work in the Bay area. It's hard to express what a big deal this decision is to me in a way that will make sense, even to those who know me and especially to those who don't. What I can say is that I'll be sharing more on this blog to chronicle my journey through unemployment and to a new part of my life, which I anticipate will come with roadblocks, obstacles, excitement and unexpected adventures of getting somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so very, very excited for this new adventure for you!! Can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will visit! I definitely found some confidence in making this decision thinking about your adventure to move :)

    ReplyDelete